Capturing picture-perfect baby photos every time! Sony Press Release17 April 2019 | Katrina Clowes
Dan Newberry from Sony has revealed his top tips on how to capture photographs of your newborns either in a studio setting or even in your own home.
- Timing - one of the most important times to photograph a baby is within the first 10 days. Babies features grow and develop so quickly, so it’s important to capture all those special little details that the parents can cherish and remember forever
- Ensure a ‘relaxing’ environment - if I’m looking to capture a creative photo I will set up in advance, rather than trying to work around the children. My advice to parents looking to get arty with their photography is to get props in place first, as otherwise this can be quite stressful – once a baby gets stressed, the parents usually follow suit
- Be prepared to entertain - when working with babies for a long period of time, I often play white noise in the background to keep them calm, usually just after a feed too so they doze in and out – but with slightly older children I recommend bringing their favourite toy, and the noisier the toy the better! The sounds of a familiar toy will keep them entertained, resulting in eye contact, smiles and even a few mischievous giggles. Never be afraid to act a little silly to get a good reaction, trust me it will be worth it when you see the finished picture
- Remember, babies won’t stay still for long - from crawling and first steps, to running out of the shot - before we know it our little ones are keen to explore and for me this is one of the most fascinating times to work with them. I would recommend a camera such as Sony’s α6400 with Eye AutoFocus as this gives a great focus point when children are up and off. It means that in every picture I get precision-sharp detail and focus on the camera in almost every shot
- Use the right tech - the first moments in your child’s life are priceless, so whether you’re shooting in a professional studio or in the comfort of your own home – I think it’s important to have the tech to support your pictures. These photos are something you will treasure for a lifetime.
Capture your little ones on the move with Sony’s α6400 mirrorless camera, featuring the World’s Fastest Autofocus
The α6400 brings many of Sony’s most advanced technologies from their acclaimed full-frame line-up to a compact, lightweight camera. The speedy new camera boasts the world’s fastest AutoFocus acquisition of 0.02 seconds, resulting in precision-sharp picture quality, even as your baby is on the move. The new advanced ‘Real-time Eye AutoFocus’ and ‘Real-time Tracking’ capabilities will also come in handy to follow your little ones wherever they go, ensuring they are captured in almost every shot.The 18-135mm E-mount lens (SEL18135) is an ideal fit for Sony’s popular APS-C sensor cameras including the α6400, and is an extremely useful tool for a wide range of shooting situations - from portraiture to travel photography. Capture baby’s first portrait with outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness, perfect for sharing with your friends and family.
Take a look at the Sony Press Release HERE